The City of Leslie contracts with Associated Government Services (AGS) to provide building, mechanical, electrical and plumbing inspections for construction in the City.

Building permits are applied for at the City.

To call for an inspection: (269) 629-0600 or (800) 627-2801.

Building and/or Trade Permits are required for the following:

  • Construction or alteration of any structure 
  • Construction of an addition
  • Demolition or moving of a structure
  • Installation or alteration of any electrical, mechanical or plumbing equipment
  • Roofs; Siding, Windows, and Deck Repair
  • Swimming pools capable of holding water over 24 inches (in-ground & above ground)

Work that does NOT require a permit as noted in the 2015 Michigan Residential Code (may still require zoning permit)

Building Permits

  1. One-story detached accessory structures not exceeding 200 square feet.
  2. Fences less than 7 feet in height.
  3. Retaining walls less than 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  4. A water tank supported directly upon grade if the capacity is not more than 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width is not greater than 2 to 1.
  5. A sidewalk and driveway not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
  6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work.
  7. A prefabricated swimming pool that is less than 24 inches deep and not greater than 5,000 gallons and is installed entirely above ground.
  8. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached 1 or 2 family dwellings.
  9. Window awnings in group R-3 and U occupancies, supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support, as applicable in Section 101.2 and group U occupancies.
  10. Decks not exceeding 200 square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grad at any point as prescribed by Section R312.1.1 are not attached to a dwelling or its accessory structures, are not within 36 inches of a dwelling or its accessory structures, and do not serve any ingress or egress door of the dwelling or its accessory structures.

Electrical Permits

  1. Repairs and maintenance: Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps of the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.
  2. Radio and television transmitting stations: The provisions of the code do not apply to electrical equipment used for radio and television transmissions but do apply to equipment and wiring for power supply and to the installation of towers and antennas.
  3. Temporary testing systems:  A permit is not required for the installation of any temporary system required for the testing or servicing of electrical equipment or apparatus.

Mechanical Permits

  1. A portable heating of gas appliance that has inputs of less than 30,000 BTU’s per hour.
  2. Portable ventilation appliances and equipment.
  3. A portable cooling unit.
  4. Steam, hot water, or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment or appliances regulated by this code.
  5. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter the approval of equipment or an appliance or make such equipment or appliance unsafe.
  6. A portable evaporative cooler.
  7. Self-contained refrigeration systems that contain 10 pounds or less of refrigerant, or that are actuated by motors of 1 horsepower or less.
  8. Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.
  9. An oil burner that does not require connection to a flue, such as an oil stove and a heater equipped with a wick.
  10. A portable gas burner that has inputs of less than 30,000 BTU’s per hour.
  11. When changing or relocating a gas meter or regulator, a permit is not required when installing gas piping which shall be limited to 10 feet in length and not more than 6 fittings.
  12. When installing geothermal vertical closed loops under the supervision of a mechanical contractor licensed in HVAC as long as the company meets both the following:
    1. Has obtained a certificate of registration as a well drilling contractor pursuant to part 127 of the public health code, 1978, PA 368, 333.12701 to 333.12771.
    2. Has installed the geothermal vertical closed loops in accordance with the department of environmental quality’s best practices regarding geothermal heat pump closed loops.  Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for work to be done in violation of the provisions of this code or other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.

Plumbing Permits

  1. The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe.  If any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, then the work is considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection mad as provided in the code.
  2. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, if the repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes, or fixtures.

Please contact the Ingham County Drain Commission for soil erosion permits or other permits needed for construction.